[Renate Von Kuznig, Health Contributor]
Wall Street Journal: Not cucumbers, not sprouts, not tomatoes – what then is responsible for the ongoing deaths (up to 28 or so) and the thousands being made ill by the e.coli infections hitting Germany and frightening the world? The culprit it seems is to be none other than an evolved and extremely toxic version of a bug first identified in Münster, Germany, way back in 2001 say scientists.
According to Alexander Mellmann at the University Hospital of Munster: “Everything we know so far indicates it is an evolved strain…if it was completely unknown, we’d struggle a lot more in our effort to fight it.”
Researchers at BGI and University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf researchers who seem to agree with Dr. Mellmann after looking at material belonging to the 2001 and 2011 strains of the bug and found that seven genes crucial to both bugs’ existence are the same as well as 12 others.
The 2001 outbreak had affected around five identified people world-wide and had never really been identified and eradicated and the scientists’ genetic analysis has shown up that as the earlier bug has interacted with the newer one, it has become stronger and is practically drug-resistant.
Nearly all the 2700, or so cases of the bug infection and associated deaths can be traced back to Germany.
- Genetics Offer Clues to E. coli Outbreak (online.wsj.com)
- Killer E.coli strain infects first victims in Britain (telegraph.co.uk)
- EU increases E. coli payout offer (bbc.co.uk)
- The hunt for E. coli: From ‘really hot lead’ to no clue (msnbc.msn.com)
- Killer E.coli strain infects first victims in Britain – Telegraph.co.uk (news.google.com)
- E. coli O104:H4 in Europe–is it new? (scienceblogs.com)
- E.coli outbreak remains a mystery (mirror.co.uk)
- German Organic Farm ‘Behind E.coli Outbreak’ (news.sky.com)
- German-grown sprouts named likely culprit in deadly outbreak (mysatelite.wordpress.com)
- Beansprouts blamed for bug outbreak (mirror.co.uk)
- German E. Coli Outbreak Food Source Revealed (pamil-visions.net)
- Bean sprouts to blame for E.coli outbreak (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sprouts suspected in E.coli outbreak (cnn.com)
- You: E coli outbreak: Germany reports two more deaths (guardian.co.uk)
- E. Coli Outbreak Source Not Sprouts: German Officials (huffingtonpost.com)
- E coli outbreak linked to bean sprouts, says German minister (guardian.co.uk)
- Bean Sprouts Are New E. Coli Suspect (online.wsj.com)
- No proof sprouts caused E. coli outbreak, Germany says (theglobeandmail.com)
- Bean Sprouts Are New E. Coli Suspect – Wall Street Journal (news.google.com)
- Germany: Rise in reported E.coli cases (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Ontario man confirmed to have E. coli from deadly outbreak in Europe (theglobeandmail.com)
- More deaths spreading over Europe as Germany’s drug resistant e.coli outbreak threatens a worldwide disaster – Spanish cucumbers not to blame (dominicatimes.wordpress.com)
- DNA Sequence Yields Clues to Germany’s ‘Super Toxic’ E. coli outbreak (news.sciencemag.org)
- BGI sequences genome of the deadly E. coli in Germany and reveals new super-toxic strain (eurekalert.org)
- E.Coli Outbreak: Latest News (pamil-visions.net)
- Chinese, German researchers identify sequence of deadly E. coli – Xinhua (news.google.com)