[Manuel Barthoso, Public Health Contributor]
A new strain of the e.coli organism is being blamed by scientists for an outbreak which has killed over 20 and hospitalised more than 2000 people in Germany and Europe over the past few days. Furthermore, the organism thought to be the culprit, has been found to be drug-resistant by Chinese and German scientists according to News24 and the Telegraph.
However, no one really knows what is responsible for the outbreak which seems to be getting worse by the day with Germany, where the outbreak appears to have started, being the hardest hit country.
What is clear is that that the infection is caused by eating bad food. But which foods are affected and how to clean food before consumption to clear the organism at the moment are wild guessing games by baffled scientists. In the meantime, more people in Germany and Europe are falling ill, some fatally.
The are rumours that the organism is a result of genetically modified food production and also the horrific contamination of the sea by the ongoing Fukushima disaster which has affected the fish worldwide.
The Beijing Genomics Institute, which has been working on a solution for the outbreak has said that the organism: “contains several genes that were resistant to antibiotics”.
- Germany Suspects Spanish Cucumbers in E.coli Scare (first4lawyers.com)
- E. coli outbreak kills 17 in Europe (macleans.ca)
- Why Health Authorities Are So Worried About Europe’s Mutant E. Coli Outbreak (healthland.time.com)
- EU Points Fingers as Killer E. Coli Sweeps Across Europe (friendseat.com)
- Europe’s E. Coli Outbreak Caused By Mutant Bacteria Never Before Seen (healthland.time.com)
- E coli outbreak: WHO says bacterium is a new strain – The Guardian (news.google.com)
- WHO: Europe’s Killer Bacteria Is New E. Coli Strain- CDC Keeping a Close Eye on Deadly E. Coli (foxnews.com)
- BGI sequences genome of the deadly E. coli in Germany and reveals new super-toxic strain (medicalxpress.com)
- WHO: E. coli outbreak caused by new strain (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Lethal bacteria is new strain, says World Health Organisation – Sydney Morning Herald (news.google.com)
- German E. coli outbreak caused by previously unknown strain (nature.com)
- You: E coli outbreak: WHO says bacterium is a new strain (guardian.co.uk)
- New E. Coli strain: Combination of two different E. Coli bacteria. (ascleses.wordpress.com)
- E. Coli Outbreak Caused by New Strain: WHO (abcnews.go.com)
- E.coli Strain in Germany Never Seen Before in Outbreak, WHO Says (businessweek.com)
- German E.coli outbreak : Q&A (telegraph.co.uk)
- E.coli outbreak believed to be new strain of bacteria (telegraph.co.uk)
- Britons hit by new E.coli strain (mirror.co.uk)
- Deadly E.coli Found In UK Is ‘Mutant’ Strain (news.sky.com)
- 1,600 hit by new E.coli strain (mirror.co.uk)
- “Not our vegetables to blame, its German food!”, Spain says after accusations from Germany that its vegetables caused the country’s deadly e.coli outbreak (dominicatimes.wordpress.com)
- German E. Coli Outbreak Is Caused by a New Strain, Spain Demands Reparations (pamil-visions.net)
- Europe E.coli outbreak caused by toxic new strain (independent.co.uk)
- E. coli in Germany: Don’t shoot the cucumber (economist.com)
- E.coli outbreak ‘may last months’ (bbc.co.uk)
- E.Coli Outbreak Latest: Russia Bans European Vegetables And No One Has Seen This Strain Of The Bacteria Before (businessinsider.com)
- Lethal E. Coli Is New Strain: WHO (abcnews.go.com)