[Abdul Goldstein, Middle East and African Contributor]
MailOnline: Syria’s officials are going all out on the people power demonstrators as shown up by the recent horrific execution of thirteen-year-old Hamza Ali al-Khateeb, which had involved Syrian security forces acting under the orders of the country’s beseiged president, Bashar al-Assad, to destroy the boys penis.
The child had been picked up by Syrian officials in Jiza, a village in Dar’a province of Syria, around a month ago and later on his body punctured like sieve and minus his penis, was returned to his anguished parents. His knees has been destroyed and his neck broken also.
The family was warned by Syrian police against talking too much, but apparently not enough to persuade them to go along with the unspeakable act of cruelty out of fear of being hurt. As a result, the father has been arrested and might probably be facing the same fate as his son.
The news of the boy that shocked the world was posted on YouTube, apparently by a family member, as after the rebellion against the president which in fact had turned into a civil war, Syria was shut to the members of the international press.
However, it seems that instead of daunting the rebels, the murder has inspired a wave of fierce protests against the injustice of the current regime. According to expatriated human rights activist Radwan Ziadeh and as reported by the Washington Post, the child has already become one of the most powerful symbols of the revolt.
- Teenage victim becomes a symbol for Syria’s revolution (guardian.co.uk)
- In death, a 13-year-old becomes a symbol of Syrian opposition (cnn.com)
- Boy’s death reinvigorates protest movement in Syria (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Because He Called for Freedom: (brothersjuddblog.com)
- We are all Hamza Ali al-Khatib (alhittin.wordpress.com)
- In death, a 13-year-old becomes a symbol of Syrian opposition (ac360.blogs.cnn.com)
- Syria’s 13-Year-Old Martyr (powerlineblog.com)
- Boy’s torture-killing sparks call for probe in Syria (msnbc.msn.com)