[Internet and Technology Contributor, Kazim Blanche]
Burson-Marsteller, a svelte PR company had been apparently hired by Facebook to dig up the dirt on Google by reverse propaganda stories to media and consumer rights outlets. Top of the list was that Google invades people’s privacy.
However, things turned sour for Facebook when the blogapanda blogger hired to do the dissing by the PR company, published the emails that it had sent to him on the matter. This was quickly followed up by a story in USA Today which suggested that Facebook was behind the dissing campaign on Google.
- Facebook’s PR fiasco intensifies its rivalry with Google (oregonlive.com)
- Facebook Admits Secret Bid To Smear Google (news.sky.com)
- Facebook pushed negative stories about Google’s privacy practices (news.consumerreports.org)
- Facebook tries to smear Google on privacy issues (news.consumerreports.org)
- Busted! Facebook hires PR firm to discredit Google (rt.com)
- Facebook, PR firm on anti-Google campaign: We’re (not really) sorry (venturebeat.com)
- Facebook Loses Much Face In Secret Smear On Google (techcrunch.com)
- Facebook Tried to Secretly Eat Google’s Face (slog.thestranger.com)
- Facebook goes Anti on Google : (mobilegameroids.wordpress.com)
- Facebook Hired PR Firm to Target Google (online.wsj.com)