[Wikileaks News Contributor, Zara Kingsley]
Telegraph: The Sydney Peace Foundation awarded Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, the Sydney Peace Medal at a moving ceremony at the Frontline Club in central London yesterday. It was awarded for: “for exceptional courage in pursuit of human rights”.
The Sydney Peace Foundation is a non-for-profit organisation associated with the University of Sydney. It awards the Sydney Peace Prize which is the only International Peace Prize awarded in Australia. The peace prize is supported by the City of Sydney by funding and active assistance in the humanitarian aims of the foundation.
The director of the foundation, Professor Stuart Rees, said: “By challenging centuries old practices of government secrecy and by championing people’s right to know, WikiLeaks and Julian Assange have created the potential for a new order in journalism and in the free flow of information.”
Mr. Assange said that WikiLeaks mirrored England‘s historic “free speech traditions, these go back in the UK to the time of the English Civil War of the 1640……the real value of this award, and the Sydney Peace Foundation is that it makes explicit the link between peace and justice”.
- WikiLeaks’ Assange gets Australian peace prize (reuters.com)
- Assange alleges ‘Jewish’ conspiracy against WikiLeaks (go.theregister.com)
- WikiLeaks Is Up for a Nobel Peace Prize (mashable.com)
- WikiLeaks’ Assange Calls Facebook ‘Most Appalling Spying Machine Ever’ (promoteliberty.wordpress.com)
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange rails against Facebook, says it’s a spy tool for US government (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- The New Statesman and Frontline Club WikiLeaks Debate (newstatesman.com)
- WikiLeaks revelations only tip of iceberg – Assange (rt.com)
- WikiLeaks revelations only tip of iceberg – Assange (promoteliberty.wordpress.com)
- U.K. judge rules WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange can be extradited (theglobeandmail.com)
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange back in court for extradition ruling (theglobeandmail.com)