[Sean Cook, Church Crime News Contributor]
Telegraph.co.uk: Roger Vangheluwe, 74, the former bishop of Bruges, is an unrepentent child abuser. He says: “I don’t have the impression at all that I am a paedophile…….I did not have the feeling that my nephew was against it, quite the contrary”.
The ex-bishop has owned up to abusing two of his nephews – one over a 13-year period up to the boy’s 18th birthday and the second, for a period of 12 months. He is now safely out of Belgium, as arranged by the Vatican, so that he can rest from the ordeal and seek spiritual guidance. It is rumoured that he is in a French monastery. The Vatican has not offered any compensation to the boys.
The Belgium minister of justice, Stefaan De Clercq, has asked the Church to take the strongest possible line to bring the ex-bishop to justice. But, one wonders why he himself is not initiating criminal proceedings against the paedophile.
- Belgian ex-bishop denies paedophilia despite admitting abuse (telegraph.co.uk)
- Belgian cleric plays down abuse (bbc.co.uk)
- Church ‘stupefied’ at new Belgian child sex bishop horror (thegreatone22.wordpress.com)
- Church in dock over new child sex bishop revelations (expatica.com)
- Belgian child sex bishop reveals second abuse (expatica.com)
- Belgian Bishop Says Abuse Of Nephew Was A ‘Game’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Belgium Asks Vatican to Punish Bishop (online.wsj.com)
- Paedophile Bishop gives interview (expatica.com)
- Brussels, Belgium: Public Outrage As Former RC ‘Bishop Vangheluwe’ Downplays Child Sex Abuse (lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com)