The unit holds over 170 tons of radioactive fuel and this means that there is now likely to be extreme radioactive contamination to the environment.
Analysts are saying that it is certainly likely that all 6 units have been similarly compromised and as such any cooling attempts will just serve to increase the release of severely toxic radioactive elements into the atmosphere and environment.
[Japan Nuclear Disaster Contributor]
- Officials fear Japan reactor nuclear core may have breached (theglobeandmail.com)
- Japan: Reactor Core May Have Breached (time.com)
- Japan nuclear reactor core may have breached (cbc.ca)
- Possible core breach halts Japan nuke plant work (cbsnews.com)
- Dangerous breach suspected at Japanese nuclear plant (independent.co.uk)
- Dangerous breach suspected at Japanese nuclear plant (ctv.ca)
- Reactor core damage feared at plant (mirror.co.uk)
- Japan Fears Reactor Core Breach (newser.com)
- Japan Reactor Core May Have Been Breached (huffingtonpost.com)
- Japan nuke-plant reactor core may be breached (seattletimes.nwsource.com)