The man, Dallas Wiens, had received extensive disfigurement following an accident when his entire facial features had melted when his head touched a high voltage electrical wire. Dallas is said to be recovering well and the surgeons are saying that the procedure has been successful.
His nose, lips, skin and muscles and all the nerves providing sensation have been installed. However, sadly, his eyesight was not able to be restored. A similar operation was performed in Spain last week and in 2005, the world’s first such operation (although a partial face replacement) was done in France on a woman who had been savaged by a dog.
[Health and Medicine Contributor]
- Burn victim gets US’s first full face transplant (msnbc.msn.com)
- Disfigured construction worker gets face transplant (capitolhillblue.com)
- Full face transplant for man disfigured in power line accident (independent.co.uk)
- Full face transplant patient recovering well, say US doctors (guardian.co.uk)
- Man gets first U.S. ‘full’ face transplant (calgaryherald.com)
- Electrocuted 25 year old gets new face, first full face transplant in US (americablog.com)
- Full Face Transplant (drppanda.wordpress.com)