CNN reports that a 25 year old man was reported dead and many boats and harbours in the USA were damaged after ‘jet speed’ tsunami waves moving across the Pacific from Japan‘s enormous earthquake reached the country last Friday.
In northern California wave more than 8 feet high were recorded and the tsunami waves reached the Hawaiian Islands at around 3 am on Friday (8.07 am ET). California Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency in respect to four of the state’s coastal counties as the tsunami waves swept across the state’s beaches, ports and harbors. Emergency shelters have been opened up.
Fifty countries in the Pacific have been given tsunami warnings by the US Weather Service.
[Natural Disaster Contributor]
- California Man Swept Into the Sea By Tsunami (abcnews.go.com)
- Japan tsunami grazes Americas but impact is light (thestar.com)
- Pacific Ocean Predicted Tsunami Wave Heights (ritholtz.com)
- Oregon marina destroyed in tsunami’s wake (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Tsunami: Search called off for man swept out to sea (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- “Coast Guard suspends search for man swept out to sea by tsunami wave” and related posts (coastguardnews.com)