Huffington Post reports that since the explosion of one of the country’s nuclear reactors on Saturday which was caused by the recent earthquake, the authorities are seriously concerned about the possibility of an unstoppable ‘meltdown’ which could devastate the country for many years to come.
The scale of death and destruction caused by Japan‘s recent earthquake disaster has been unprecedented in the country’s history. Towns have been totally wiped out and more than 140,000 are feared dead. Along Japan’s coast, for several hundred miles, thousand of starving survivors are clinging to life in emergency centers which unfortunately are inaccessible to rescuers and electricity supply. Trains have disappeared and bodies awash Japan’s shores.
- The horror – Japan’s quake and aftershock kills thousands (dominicatimes.wordpress.com)
- Japan Sends 50,000 Rescuers to Quake Area; Death Toll Rises (businessweek.com)
- You: 1,700 feared dead, missing; possible radiation leaks (earthtimes.org)
- Japan aftershocks spark new tsunami alerts (msnbc.msn.com)
- As the water receeds in Japan, death toll expected to rise (news.nationalpost.com)
- Deaths in Japan Quake Top 500; Nuclear Fuel May Be Melting (businessweek.com)
- Blast at Japan nuke plant; thousands missing (ajc.com)
- For battered Japan, a new threat: nuclear meltdown (ajc.com)