The Gleaner reports that a Jamaican couple is taking the Princess Margaret Hospital, a Jamaican public hospital, to court after one of its doctors, they claim, abruptly and without warning, terminated the wife’s pregnancy which was in its 4th month.
Although the couple are claiming the doctor apologised to them after the incident, they are understandably angry over the event.
The 26 year old married mother had gone to the hospital as she had felt unusual pain in her stomach and had wanted it stopped. The nurses had attended the mother and she had felt better afterwards, but then the doctor intervened and it seemed all went wrong thereafter when he allegedly performed the abortion.
The mother’s husband, 28 year old Mr. Josephs, had gotten worried about her treatment by the doctor and asked the doctor to explain what was going on. However, Mr. Joseph says, the doctor seemed surprised when he had told him that Mrs. Joseph had not come in for an abortion and had allegedly apologised to Mrs. Joseph after the termination.
The hospital is denying the claim made by the Josephs and say that the whole incident was a miscommunication between the patient and the doctor, possibly because of the doctor’s accent.
[Caribbean Affairs Contributor]
- Reasons Not to Have an Abortion (thelostgenerations.wordpress.com)
- Abortion Safer Than Childbirth, British Doctors’ Group Wants Women to Know (politicsdaily.com)
- “Abortion doctor who killed Bhutanese refugee might face the death penalty” and related posts (refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com)
- Pope urges doctors to protect women from abortion (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Having an abortion is safer than having a baby, say UK docs (news.bioscholar.com)
- Philly abortion doc faces murder charges hearing (seattletimes.nwsource.com)